Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Domain Name and US Trademark

I have more or less decided on my domain name (something like borneotropicalvacations.com), but before I go ahead and register it, I follow what the Action Guide said - check not only on its availability but also on its legality.

Luckily, SBI! has a little tool called Search It! which allows me to perform a legality check on trademark and registered names on top of many other ecommerce-related search resources.

Checking SearchIt, I found that "Tropical Vacation" and "Tropical Vacations" are both US trademark-ed.

Since it's better to be 100% sure and to be safe than sorry later, I inquired about this issue at, where else, the SBI Forum.

Debs from debtsteps.com was kind enough to reply to quash all my concerns as follows:
Richard, trademarks are marks (graphical representations), not words; so it is ikely they have a service mark using those words; generic words cannot be copyright protected or trademarked, otherwise we would have no words to write

Now, if they had taken the two words and made a new, original word like Tropications that would be protectible as a unique word.

Debs

Thank you Debs. Tropications, now..., that's an interesting word!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home