Monday, January 29, 2007

Roger Federer and Grant Tinker (?)

After watching Roger Federer demolished Fernando Gonzales yesterday at the Australian Open to capture his 10th Grand Slam, I found it hard to believe federer's unwavering motivation, especially at this day and age when fame and fortune are increasingly the root of all downfalls.

Then, I came across a quote by a certain Grant Tinker, which I later found out to be the former Chairman and CEO of NBC (or more popularly known as the husband of Mary Tyler Moore - now, that actress I know):

First be best, then be first

Or as he puts it mildly, "First we will be best, and hen we will be first".

I guess Federer was not just aiming to be the best Swiss player in history when he started out, but also to be the best ever in the world.

With only 4 more slams to surpass Pete Sampras' record, I reckon that is why his drive is still as strong as when he first hit the tennis ball - perhaps, just the same drive for other greats such as Tiger Woods.

I suppose, this will hold true in any business endeavour..., that is, if we ever set a definite goal - instead of just the "holds-no-water" one of making tons of money.

And believe in yor goal by working harder (not smarter) than others.

Now, the last sentence is easier to say but harder to do...

P.S. You have to work hard first before you can work smart - get it? Maybe, I'll elaborate more another time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home