Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Rich Kid Poor Dad - Lessons from a 7-year old

After reading "Retire Young, Retire Rich", I bought another Robert Kiyosaki's book called "Rich Kid Smart Kid" a week ago. But before I got the chance to read it, my 7-year old daughter, Tessy, wanted to read it first...

Tessy likes reading, ever since she was a toddler, and when she's into one book, the whole family knows very well not to touch that book until she finish reading or all hell will break loose.

Since Kiyosaki's book was primarily written for parents to educate their children financially, I wasn't sure that Tessy could understand the book thoroughly. I thought if the book was too 'deep' for her, I could persuade her to let me read it.

So I tested her this morning before I go to work by asking what she'd learnt from the book so far.

To my utter surprise, not only had Tessy read up to Chapter 4, she had also picked up some of the invaluable lessons from the book.

Besides telling me about Robert, Richie and their rich/poor dads, and Kim (Robert's wife), Tessy told me that...

"If you think you can't afford it, you can't afford it!"

"If you think you can afford it, you can afford it!"

Like a Poor Dad, I asked "Huh? What do you mean?".

Like a Rich Kid, Tessy replied: "If you think or say you can't afford something, then you will never be able to afford it." (these are her very own words for your information)

"The moral of the story is...", my Rich Kid continued.

"If you want something badly, and you continue to think and say that you will have it one day soon..., then most likely you will always be able to find a way to get or buy it.

"Hey..., congratulations, you are truly a Rich Kid, eh?", I told her. I was very proud of Tessy but at the same time a bit worry, as I'm not 100% certain what she's actually talking about. She sounded like Robert Kiyosaki and that can't be good right? She's only 7 years old for Pete's sake...

Then in the context of Site Build It! (SBI!), it finally hit me...

My friend Jeff thinks that he can't afford to buy SBI! even though he is financially more stable than me. And until today he still blames the lack of money for his inability to get a SBI! even though he agrees that SBI! is an excellent tool to expand his Internet business endeavours.

My other friend Steve thinks that SBI! will not work for him blaming the much needed time and hard work required to build a SBI! site. He wanted to get rich quick and he said that he didn't have so much time to read the SBI! manuals and guide and to go through the all-important Brainstorming process. Today, he'd given up on SBI! and his Internet business is going no way.

The moral of the story is..., like my Rich Kid tried to explain...

If you think you can't afford it, you can't afford it no matter how rich you are.

If you think it won't work for you, it won't work for you no matter how good that something is.

Thank you Tessy for opening your Poor Dad's eyes and context.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home